Government Vehicles - Maintenance and Repair Services

Feedback and Contact Information

How can I provide feedback on the services that I received from the Fleet Maintenance Team?
You may email your comments to

How do I contact…?

Contact Responsibility Email Phone Fax
Mark Minnick Chief, TMB 301-402-6768 301-402-1280
Enrique Flores Supervisor, FMS 301-496-1373 301-402-1280
Michael Jones Maintenance 301-496-4512 301-402-1280

Return to Top

Fuel Pump Location

Where are the NIH gasoline, ethanol and diesel pumps?
They are located by the NIH Fleet Management Branch in Building 12.

What about refueling natural gas vehicles?
The NIH Fleet Management Branch has many vehicles that run on natural gas. Refueling of these vehicles is remarkably similar to filling a car's gasoline tank. Visit the U.S. Department of Energy's Refueling Station Address Locator to learn where to refuel the natural gas vehicles.

Return to Top

General Services, Fuels, Fueling and the Car Wash Program

What are some of the other types of general services that we provide? Some of the other general services include:

  • Performing ongoing Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMIs)   and repair,
  • Performing certified State vehicle emissions inspections,  with EPA regulations,
  • Dispensing gasoline, bio-diesel and ethanol fuels via EPA certified pumps,
  • Towing (24/7) for NIH fleet vehicles, and
  • Maintenance of official vehicle warranties, maintenance/repair records, and accident reports for your NIH fleet vehicle.

What types of general maintenance am I expected to perform for my vehicle?
Required general maintenance includes vehicle refueling and car washing. You will also receive notice quarterly of your vehicle's required Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMIs). Upon receipt of notice, you are required to schedule and deliver your vehicle for the routine PMI.

What types of fuels are available for my vehicle's needs?
Federal agencies such as NIH that maintain a fleet of more than twenty vehicles have been mandated to reduce petroleum consumption by at least 2% a year. To help clean the air we breathe and to comply with various environmental laws and regulations, NIH offers a few alternative fuels (in additions to regular unleaded) for all of its vehicles. If you are located on or near the NIH campus and you are authorized appropriately, you can choose from any of the following fuels for your dedicated government vehicle.

Unleaded 87 is a standard motor fuel commonly found at any gas station in the United States. Unleaded 87 is located at the NIH Campus Fueling Station.

Bio-diesel (B-20) is an alternative motor fuel produced from a renewable resource such as soybean oil or animal fats. (NIH uses bio-diesel made from soybean only.) Typically, it is blended with petroleum diesel. Bio-diesel fuel can reduce harmful gas emissions. Replacing petroleum diesel with B-20 will reduce carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and sulfates. Bio-diesel is located at the NIH Campus Fueling Station.

Ethanol is a type of alcohol, also known as grain alcohol. It can be made from various plant and vegetable wastes (including corn and sugarcane). As a liquid, ethanol is colorless and has a slight ether odor. When used as an alternative motor fuel for vehicles, it is usually mixed with 15% gasoline, which gives it color and odor. This fuel mixture is known as Ethanol (E-85). The added gasoline also helps in cold weather when starting vehicles. Ethanol is located at the NIH Campus Fueling Station.

Where do I get fuel for my vehicle?
If you are located on or near the NIH campus, you will refuel at the NIH Campus Fueling Station located adjacent to Building 12. Fuel pumps are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for dispensing gas, oil and windshield wiper fluid.  A fuel key or AIMs system is issued at vehicle delivery/pick up allows you access to regular unleaded 87, E-85 ethanol, or B-20 diesel fuel so that you can fill up on whichever fuel your vehicle needs.

If your vehicle is away from the NIH campus or on field travel, you can use your Fleet card to fuel up for your unleaded or alternative fuel purchases. To find a refueling station for your alternative fuel needs outside of the NIH Campus, visit U.S. Department of Energy's Alternative Refueling Address Locator. Your Fleet card is assigned to your vehicle and can be picked up from the Fleet Management Branch in Building 12, only on an as needed basis. The fleet card must be returned upon completion of your trip.

What is the Car Wash Program?
The Car Wash Program allows you to purchase tickets at the Fleet Management Section (building 12, room 103). We know how important it is to you to keep your vehicle looking great and we want to assure you that we are committed to helping you do that.

How can I purchase Car Wash tickets?
Tickets are $11 each and can be purchased in packs of ten. To purchase your car wash tickets, call 301-496-4511 and make arrangements to pick up at building 12, room 103. for car wash tickets along with your

  1. TAG number,
  2. the desired number of booklets,
  3. name,
  4. mailing address (including building and room number),
  5. email address,
  6. phone number and
  7. desired delivery type (send through NIH mail or you will pick up)
Once your email is received, you will be sent confirmation of your order's receipt. All booklets requested by email for mail delivery will be mailed within 24 hours of your order's receipt.

Return to Top

Vehicle Maintenance Charges

Who pays for the agency assigned vehicle's fuel and maintenance?
Your institute is responsible for the cost of the vehicle's purchase, fuel, and maintenance.

What does the administrative maintenance cost of $300 per month include?
These costs include:

  • Regular notification of upcoming and required Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMIs) for your vehicle,
  • Acting as your liaison with automotive dealers for warranty repairs and safety recalls,
  • Overseeing of specialized vehicle and equipment design and modification including travel to manufacturer's facilities to verify compliance with specifications,
  • Verifying NIH fleet vehicle accident damage, notifying NIH Crime Prevention and taking part in discussions to determine who was at fault and who is responsible for payment of damages, and
  • Recommending the disposal (or surplus) of vehicles based on repair records, generating the required paperwork, and performing the appropriate actions needed based on the vehicle's conditions.

I have questions about vehicle purchase charges to our CAN number, who should I contact?
Please check your statement monthly. If you need to make changes to your CAN or have any questions concerning charges to your CAN that relate to the purchase of your vehicle, please email your concerns to  or call Mark Minnick at 301-402-6768.

Return to Top